For many North Carolinians, medical treatment centers may not be conveniently located. If you live out in the country, you could end up driving miles into the city every time you need to visit your doctor — And as we’ve mentioned before on our blog, frequent visits with your doctor can be incredibly important for maintaining your benefits. All that driving will be putting extra miles on your car, not to mention the additional money you’ll have to pay in gas.

The good news is that if you have to travel 20 miles or more round-trip for your medical treatment, you may be entitled to compensation for your mileage. This includes travel completed during the first seven days following your accident, when compensation for work is not yet due.

In order to claim compensation for travel, you must file a Form 25T with the North Carolina Industrial Commission to track your medical mileage. It is important to keep track of your mileage to ensure you are properly compensated. North Carolina adjusts the rate of reimbursement each year, so you may receive a different amount based on when you had to travel. As of January 1, 2016 the rate is $0.54 per mile.   

If you have to travel more than 20 miles round-trip to receive medical treatment for your work injury, you may be eligible for compensation for that mileage. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact one of our experienced attorneys.