Often, our clients call us concerned and seeking help because their employer refuses to acknowledge their work injury. They have told their supervisor verbally that they were injured. In some cases, they’ve even let their human resources representative know, but they aren’t getting anywhere. Meanwhile, they aren’t receiving the treatment they need to get better or the pay that they rightfully deserve.


What should you do if you find yourself in this unfortunate position? There ARE steps you can take to get the support you need:


  • First, insist on putting your claim of injury in writing. To do this, write an explanation detailing how you were injured. Then send two copies—one to your supervisor and human resources representative.
  • The next step is to call either an attorney or the North Carolina Industrial Commission to get a Form 18 filed. The Form 18 is formal notice to all important parties that you are claiming an injury due to your work. This form gets the process started and out of the hands of your employer. It will get the workers’ compensation carrier’s attention and should get your claim moving.


The Workers’ Compensation Act was created to protect employees like you. Don’t let your employer intimidate you out of pursuing your rights. Oxner + Permar attorneys specialize in workers’ comp. We’ve won more than $275m in awards and settlements for our clients—and we are dedicated to helping you get the treatment and pay you deserve.


Have you been injured on the job, and your employer refuses to help? File the Form 18 and get your claim moving forward.