If you’ve received an award for a permanent partial disability claim (a lump-sum paid following a Form 26A), that decision can feel set in stone. You’ve gone through the legal steps and had an official decision made about your health and your benefits. However, that’s not entirely the case. Did you know that you have one year to make a claim for a change of condition? This can apply to any change in your physical condition whether it improves or worsens.

For instance, let’s say you’ve been injured at work and you find yourself with limited mobility in your arm. Then as you return to work, instead of your condition improving or staying the same, you notice your injury is becoming worse and, as a result, your job is becoming more difficult to do. In this case, you should contact an attorney.

It’s possible that you may be entitled to additional compensation. When you received your initial award, that amount was based on your condition at the time. However, it’s important to keep in mind that when your condition is being reevaluated, you will be asked whether or not you’ve done anything to aggravate your condition. If it’s determined that your injury was worsened by something preventable, you may not be granted additional compensation.

If you believe that your condition has changed for the worse, you should contact an attorney to discuss your options. An experienced attorney will be able to evaluate your case and help guide you through the process of adjusting your claim.

Did you know that you have one year to make a claim for a change of condition? Your claim is not set in stone — if your condition changes you could be eligible to revise your reward.